Causes of Truck Accidents
Chicago Truck Accident Attorneys
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), there are numerous causes of truck accidents, with many unrelated factors often contributing to a single crash involving a large truck. Talk to a truck accident lawyer in Chicago from Pavich Law Group, P.C. if you or a loved one has been hurt or killed in an accident with a commercial truck in the state of Illinois.
In identifying these causes, the FMCSA placed them into the following categories:
- Non-Performance – the FMCSA places truck accidents into this category when the critical reason for the truck accident involved a failure of the driver to perform, such as when the driver fell asleep, was disabled by something, such as a physical malady like a seizure or heart attack, or was impaired from properly performing for some other reason.
- Recognition – truck accidents fall under this category when the truck driver failed to recognize the emerging situation, or was not paying proper attention to a situation. This might happen if the truck driver is distracted by something.
- Decision – the FMCSA will place an accident into this category if the critical reason for the truck accident involves a poor decision by the truck driver. For example, if the truck driver was speeding, driving too fast for conditions, following other vehicles too closely or misjudging the speed and/or driving pattern of another driver, and these decisions lead to an accident, the truck crash will be placed in this category.
- Performance – the FMCSA will place a truck accident into this category if the truck driver, for some reason, froze and did not properly respond to conditions, or if the truck driver exercised poor directional control.
TYPES OF TRUCK DRIVER NEGLIGENCE
While these are the major categories of the critical reason for truck accidents, some of the more specific causes of vehicle crashes involving large trucks are the following:
- Traveling too fast for conditions
- Driver fatigue
- Drug use including over-the-counter, prescription and illegal drugs
- Following too closely
- Truck defects
- Unfamiliar roadway
- Aggressive driving behavior
If you or a loved one has been involved in a truck accident in which the truck driver was guilty of one of the above offenses, you may be entitled to financial compensation for any injuries you sustained as a result of the truck accident. Contact us today to get started.
HURT IN A TRUCK ACCIDENT IN ILLINOIS? CHOOSE PAVICH LAW GROUP, P.C.!
Any accident or crash involving a large truck is a serious matter, and often leads to severe injury and, unfortunately, even death. According to the FMCSA study conducted between 2001 and 2003, approximately 23.1% of all accidents involving large trucks result in a fatality, while 28.7% of large truck accidents result in a serious, incapacitating injury. This same study revealed that nearly 50% of all truck related accidents resulted in at least a minor injury to one or more passengers involved in the crash.
Please contact the Chicago truck accident attorneys at Pavich Law Group, P.C., today for a free consultation to determine your legal rights. Our experienced personal attorneys stand ready to assist you now.