Jeffrey A. Leon
Jeff Leon is an experienced trial attorney and the Chair of Pavich Law Group’s Commercial Litigation Practice. Jeff tries cases of tremendous complexity, and he has a way of distilling that complexity in a way that permits effective communication with judges and juries.
Jeff honed his litigation skills as an associate at Kirkland and Ellis (1991-1996), associate (1996-2000) then partner at Winston & Strawn (2000-2007) and partner at Ungaretti & Harris (2007-2008). Thereafter, Jeff litigated some of the largest ever consumer class action lawsuits, obtaining settlements that have totaled nearly $1 billion. Jeff has the advantage of having litigated cases from both the Plaintiff and Defendant perspective. He both prosecutes class actions and defends companies against class action lawsuits.
Jeff is a litigator first, and he therefore can handle any type of litigation. He has developed specialized knowledge in the areas of antitrust, class actions, and international litigation including claims against foreign sovereigns under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act. In addition, Jeff has deep experience handling shareholder suits, non-competition clause litigation, breach of contract, trademark infringement litigation and various types of employment disputes.
Jeff has written and spoken extensively. He has lectured on antitrust law at the Kellogg School of Business at Northwestern and has guest lectured at Columbia University’s School of Law and at IIT Chicago Kent School of Law. He has published several articles on antitrust law and, during his five-year tenure as co-chair of the Class Action Committee of the ABA Section of Litigation, he helped organize the largest annual class action conference in the country.
- J.D., Indiana University School of Law-Bloomington, 1991, summa cum laude
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Redlands, 1987, cum laude
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- United States Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- Successfully defended ITW Corporation in a $1.3 billion price-fixing class action lawsuit in a nearly three-month long jury trial.
- Defended Chicago Bridge & Iron in a three-month bench trial at the Federal Trade Commission against a challenge to its acquisition of Pitt-Des Moines, Inc..
- Defended Yukon Fuel in a contested consent decree proceeding and temporary restraining order hearing concerning its merger with its largest competitor, defeating challenges to the merger in both proceedings.
- Represented Wye Oak Technology in an extended bench trial against The Republic of Iraq which resulted in a $122-million-dollar judgment against Iraq.
- Represented some of the largest corporations in the country against antitrust challenges including Ameritech Corporation (now SBC), Bell Atlantic (now Verizon), Abbott Laboratories, and ITW.